- Feasible solution:when non negative values of xij where i= 1 , 2 , …m and j= 1 , 2 , …n satisfy the constraints of availability or supply and demand or requirement is called the feasible solution of the transportation problem.
- Basic feasible solution: it is that feasible solution that contains only m + n -1 non-negative distribution.
- Optimal solution: when the transportation cost is minimum then the feasible solution is said to be the optimal solution.
- Balanced transportation problem: a transportation problem in which the total supply from all the sources equals the total demand in all the destinations.
Mathematically, i=1 ʃm ai = j=1ʃn bi
- Unbalanced transportation problem: such problems which are not balanced are called unbalanced.
Mathematically, i=1ʃm ai ≠ j=1ʃn bi
- Matrix terminology: transportation problem is also solved by the matrix system. As we all know in matrix the vertical cells are called columns and horizontal cells as rows.
1 2 3 4
Plants A 4 2 10 3
B 6 8 7 8
Demand 15 7 8 12
The intersecting point that is row B and column 4 also written as (B, 4) is the unit cost 5.