Suppose the total motion of the link AB to reach A’B’ is entirely done by rotation about any point O. This point is known as the instantaneous centre of rotation.
To find such instantaneous centre of rotation, you have to follow certain steps-
- Draw perpendicular bisector of AA’ and BB’
- Mark it as PO and QO
- The point O is the instantaneous centre of rotation
Considering the Fig. 4.4 (b), it shows position of instantaneous centre.
Let be the angular velocity
VA = Linear velocity at point A = rA = AO
VB = Linear velocity at point B = BO
VA/ VB = AO/ BO
Suppose we know the value of velocities at point A and B. The instantaneous centre can be obtained by perpendicular line drawing in the direction of these velocities.
Links of Previous Main Topic:-
- Mass moment of inertia introduction
- Work done by force
- Kinematics of particles
- Position vector velocity and acceleration
- Plane kinematics of rigid bodies introduction
- Combined motion of translation and rotation
- Instantaneous centre of rotation method
Links of Next Mechanical Engineering Topics:-