At the time when external forces act on a body, then its internal effects decide the strength of the materials.
When machinery things are discussed, then it is taken as a rigid body. However, it is also true that the deformable bodies have internal force and the analysis of it explains the strength of that body. So, it is true that we consider some bodies as the rigid body, but in case of external forces, some deformation takes place. So, in the cases when you have the proper investigation, then it is said that no object is a perfect rigid body.
Now, go through the following figure and understand the case carefully.
Here, W load is lifted with the help of this crowbar and force P.
Value can be written as
The two conditions are very important to keep in mind after evaluating the force P –
- The load of the object should not bend the bar
- The bar does not break due to a heavy load.
Links of Previous Main Topic:-
- Introduction to statics
- Introduction to vector algebra
- Two dimensional force systems
- Introduction concept of equilibrium of rigid body
- Friction introduction
- Introduction about distributed forces
- Area moments of inertia in rectangular and polar coordinates
- Mass moment of inertia introduction
- Work done by force
- Kinematics of particles
- Position vector velocity and acceleration
- Plane kinematics of rigid bodies introduction
- Combined motion of translation and rotation
- Rectilinear motion in kinetics of particles
- Work and energy
- Linear momentum
- Force mass acceleration
Links of Next Mechanical Engineering Topics:-