Preparing For My Career
Suppose apple’s chief have to take a medical leave due to his retarded health condition. His vision is very important for the running of the company. What you think on this issue? Do such high trading firm’s head have the right to take medical leave? What ethical problems can arise in such a condition?
Developing your developing trust skills
About the skills
Trust in an important part in a manger employee relationship. As trust is important for the ethical behaviour of the employees, so mangers should definitely develop this trust within the organization and group.
Steps for practising the skills
- Practice openness- being open to the employees always maintains a good relationship. So keep employees informed. Clarify the criteria that you use in taking decisions. Always explain the reasons for these decisions. Fully disclose all the required information and be candid about the problems.
- Be fair- while taking decisions always consider whether the decision is fair and clear from other’s point of view or not. Give credit if it is due. Always be impartial and objective in performance appraisal. Make reward equal for everyone.
- Speak about your feelings- if mangers only convey cold and hard feelings and orders this will give a wrong impression on the employees. They will think him to be a nonhuman feeling less person. To speak out your inner feeling solves a lot of problem and you will gain respect within your work group.
- Tell truth only- honesty is crucial for every relationship and work. Try not to hide any facts to the employees. Telling truths will help you to easily access the employee’s hearts and also will solve problems faster as there is nothing to hide. Mangers lying to them is the only thing that the employee’s hate.
- Be consistent- employees want predictability. Not knowing things are coming leads to mistrust. Take time to think on your values & beliefs and let them guide you in every step of your life. If you know which priority to you is, you will be able to follow your values and work efficiently and will reach your goals faster.
- Fulfil your commitments- people must believe on you and can depend on you. This is where trust lies. You will have to ensure that you will jeep every promise and commitments you have made to the organization and the employees.
- Maintain confidence- people trust them whom they believe and whom they think they can rely on. So when people are telling their personal problems to you and opening up only to you, you will have to keep that confidential and not disclose. Disclosing it leads to betrayal of trusts.
- Demonstrate competence-to gain others respect and develop admiration on you will have to prove it through your professional and technical ability. You will have to pay attention on developing your communication, impersonal skills and negotiation.
Practicing the skill
After reading the below scenario write how you will handle such a situation and also mention the 8 behaviour required for developing the trust.
Ms Donna Romines of Taste Fully Tempting Candy Company in Phoenix is the shipping manager in head. There are orders of the company that comes from various parts of the world. There are 6 members in the team that is running the company. As everyone knows those 2 months prior to Christmas days are really hectic for every candy factory. Everyone counts days till December 24 because it is on that evening that the phones stop ringing anymore. All the team members and you yourself can give a sigh of relief when the last box of chocolates is finally packed and ready to go and is on the way.
Previously when the company started 5 long years ago there were 2 weeks leave given to the employees after the Christmas evening because that was the time when orders and delivery stopped. But today due to its popularity of the business that 2 week leave is not at all affordable because this is the time when huge business is going to come due to Valentine’s Day. The orders starts coming soon after Christmas. Though there is no 2 week vacation anymore but in certain departments employees are not ready to work during this period and they need time to gear up after the Christmas. Employees who attains during these 2 weeks are accomplish little. But this year the scenario is little different. Though you know that tradition cannot be dismissed so fast but the customer’s expectations are so much that you cannot afford this lose. This company is so trusted by its customers that you will have to fulfil their orders appropriately.
For getting socially responsible it has been seen that many organizations actually donate money for charitable causes and philanthropic causes. Now you are the manger of an organization and you know that your company’s employees cannot pledge money because of financial and personal problems. You also have been instructed by the supervisor for checking the list of employees who are not contributing to such a noble cause. Now as you belong to this small group, of 4 and 5 people answer the below list of questions:
- How can you handle such a situation?
- What ethical rules and guidelines you suggest to overcome such a vital situation?
- Create an organization’s policy rules and system to express your ethical guidelines.
- Make sure that all your policies are perfect and can help you to overcome ethical dilemmas or other issues.
My turn for being a Manager
- Find out 5 different examples of ethical codes of an organization. Describe what the contents with relevant examples are and explain.
- By researching on the ethical odes you find out what will be appropriate ethical code for the organization. Also create your personal ethical codes that you think might help in such ethical dilemmas.
- Take the advantages of the volunteer opportunities. If possible keep on doing things that can help you in taking ethical decisions and also do things that will improve you managerial and practical skills overall such designing, organizing and executing.
- Go to Global reporting website where chose the name of three business that have listed their name and find out the problems in that report. Also find out the stakeholders who will be affected.
- Make list of what your school are doing for the green management system. Or if you are working make the list of what good things are your organization doing for the green management program. Can they do something more than what they can do? Make a list that you suggest they can do and evaluate what are the things they are doing to go green. Also write what you suggest them to do.
- In the 2 weeks search out what ethical dilemmas you are facing. The dilemmas can be for you or for others such as friends, co mates and employees. See what are they can find out what you can do to sort it out. Also give certain suggestions you think are going to solve such ethical dilemmas.
- You can interview few mangers and find out how they solve ethical dilemmas and what all they suggest. Jot it down and work on it to think that what all you can do if you were a manager. This thing will help you to become a good manager.
- If you get the opportunity of taking classes on managerial ethical, social ethics and social responsibility it will help you in your resume. This will help you in your own personal development which will further lead you to be a good manger in future and let you solve ethical and other organizational problems easily. You will get to know what managers actually go through while running a business and this might give you certain suggestions that you will help you in your managerial life.
- Write down what you have learnt about being a successful manger in your words.
- Self-knowledge is a powerful tool of learning. Go to managerial websites and solve self exercises such as What Can I Do? What Ethics to follow? What to Trust? Through this you can identify the strengths & weaknesses in you and write down what all you can do to overcome the weakness and reinforce the strength?
Links of Previous Main Topic:-
What is social responsibility
Managers and their ethical behaviour
Encouraging ethical behaviour
Social responsibilities and ethical issues today world
Case application 1 lessons from lehman brothers will we ever learn
Case application 2 green up on aisle two
Managing social responsibility and ethics
Chapter 5 summary by learning outcomes
Chapter 5 preparing for my career
Links of Next Fundamentals of Management Topics:-