Every material has a certain amount of magnetic properties within themselves. When certain materials have a capacity to reverse themselves easily in a magnetic field, they are known as magnetically soft materials.
The various magnetically soft materials that can be used for making electromagnets are:
- Cast iron/ingot iron
- Carbon and silicon steels
- Nickel and manganese steel
Before placing these materials, it is also important to see why these are known as soft magnets. Also, these are required for making electromagnets.
- The amount of magnetic energy that is placed in these materials are not of very high amount
- As their coercive force is extremely minimal, they are not perfect for making permanent magnets. It is due to this reason that electromagnets are made from these.
- Their permeability level is extremely high, making them suitable for beating into sheets.
- Their resonance level is comparatively low.
All these ensure their demand as a raw material for electromagnets.