The heat engine of any machine can convert heat into any work. Such as, a steam engine and car engine can be regarded as best example. Though real heat engines are said to be very complex and there are different ways through which heat energy can be converted into work. But, here you can get to know about the working of any heat engine in three parts:
- The hot reservoir:
In this case the heat energy gets created with help of some process that includes combustion of fuel and helps to offer heat energy.
- The working body:
This can convert the heat energy into work. In case of real heat engines, the conversion process can never be 100% efficient. The work output turns out to be less than any heat energy supplied.
- The cold reservoir:
The energy will not be able to turn into work and then moves to heat up the cold reservoir. The cold reservoir is said to be the atmosphere and can be assumed that temperature of cold reservoir will not increase as it contains infinite heat capacity.
Links of Previous Main Topic:-
- Statically indeterminate system
- Introduction to thermodynamics
- Statement of zeroth law of thermodynamics with explanation
- Heat and work introduction
- Open system and control volume
- Conversion of work into heat
Links of Next Mechanical Engineering Topics:-
- Kelvin plank statement of second law of thermodynamics
- Clausius statement of the second law
- Refrigerator and heat pump
- Equivalence of kelvin plank and clausius statements
- Introduction to carnot cycle
- Clausius inequality entropy and irreversibility introduction
- Ideal gas or perfect gas
- Introduction about air standard cycles
- Properties of pure substances introduction