Comparison between delta connected system and star connected system is highlighted below in 2 separate structures.
Delta connected system
- Its line voltage is equivalent to phase voltage. As per this, its equation is,
EL = Eph
- With the help of this system, it is clear that only 3 wire are available and not the 4th one, i.e., neutral wire.
- Its utilization is only limited to only power loads
- Its ends are dissimilar, and all of them are connected together
- Phase current can be stated as number of times equivalent to line current
- Its provided arrangement is 3 phase and 3 wire
- This connected system can be commonly seen in transformers whose running capacity is best for low voltage and small 3 phase motors. The highly suitable equipment related to delta connected system is rotary converters.
Star connected system
- In this case too, line voltage is similar or equal to phase voltage. But its equation will not be similar.
- It is possible and easy to carry neutral (with the help of neutral wire) to the load.
- This system can be utilized for both power loads as well as lighting
- This system has similar ends, and all of them are connected together
- Line currentis equivalent to phase current. Its equation is,
- Its provided arrangement is 3 phase and 4 wire
- It is possible for a star connected alternator to get its neutral wire grounded. Due to this, star connected alternators are used in protective devices and relays. This system is considered for safety purpose.