Science can be a complicated subject, especially when it gets divided into three separate subjects. Some students may only be able to master one or two of the sciences and struggle with the other. For a lot of students, whose interests lie in physics and chemistry, biology is a hurdle for them.
Considering factors like sports, music lessons, swimming classes, friends, household chores and other piles of homework, biology can sometimes take a backseat. The ability to score well in biology contributes to your overall science grade. It is especially important to get above average marks if youâ€™re considering pursuing a degree in engineering and science. Remember, high school determines the trajectory of your life.
How to Ace Biology Assignments
Everyone has their own methodology and technique when it comes to doing homework. There are many ways you can enhance your study sessions and make the most of your time. The trick is to experiment and use techniques that provide the best outcome.
Here are a few suggestions to use when in need:
- Manage Time Effectively
- The key to doing any homework, especially when it involves a subject that you find particularly difficult, is to allocate a sufficient amount of time to completing homework regularly.
- Create a schedule that involves at least an hour of studying or completing biology assignments. Use highlighters to mark out important projects or assignments that need to be completed urgently or require more focus than others.
- Allow room for flexibility, in case it is a topic that you find particularly troubling. A schedule will ensure that you revise what has been done in class, and never forget any homework that has been assigned.
- It is ideal to figure out when you are most productive during the day, after school. Studying during this period will maximise your ability to memorize and understand stressful theories and concepts.
- Take a sufficient amount of breaks to re-energize and refresh your mind.
- A 5 to 15 minute break is enough. Time yourself so that you refrain from procrastinating.
- Breaks are necessary so that you do not tire easily and are able to handle longer hours of studying and focusing.
- Move around to allow the blood to flow evenly through your body, rehydrate and get a snack as well during the break to keep your spirits and energy levels high.
- For more information, read â€œHomework and Time-Management: How are They Related?â€ This will give you a better understanding.
- Prioritize Homework
- Learn how to prioritize homework over extra-curricular activities and a social life.
- Divide tasks into different sections according to their importance.
- First, figure out which assignments have closer deadlines â€“ those tasks will obviously need to be completed before the others.
- Topics that you find difficult to understand or have trouble with should be completed first, since they will require more time.
- Do not procrastinate and leave assignments for the last minute. This will result in rushed, untidy and unpolished submissions.
- If you have a test coming up or too many assignments to complete, do not choose to go out with friends or waste time aimlessly scrolling through social media.
- Breakdown each project into smaller, more manageable sections.
- Do not try to multitask. Focus on one section at a time so that each area is completed effectively and thoroughly.
- Revise as much as possible so that crucial facts and information is not easily forgotten.
- Pick a Comfortable Study Area
- Whether it is on the bed, at a table, or in the dining hall; you should be absolutely comfortable in the area that you choose to study.
- Ensure that it is warm and cosy during winter and cool during the summer months.
- Preferably, a study area near a window is advised since sunlight and fresh breeze help to stay alert and focused. The sunlight also helps with a lively and productive ambience.
- If you are unable to focus on certain days feel free to change your location. For some, studying at a coffee shop or cafÃ© helps because of the change of pace.
- However, if you are easily distracted, this is not an advisable solution.
- Keep water and snacks nearby in case of hunger. These items will also help keep you energized and fresh so that handling more work or long hours will not be very difficult.
- If youâ€™re studying on the bed, ensure that your back and neck are not strained as this will lead to a number of long term problems.
- The lighting in the room should be adequate so that your eyes are not strained, because this will also cause lethargy, tiredness and headaches which will hamper study time.
- A source of ventilation or fresh air will help you stay awake and motivated to work hard.
- Minimize Distractions
- If you want to submit flawless work with minimal mistakes and save time, then you should do away with all distractions while studying.
- Turn off your phone or put in on silent.
- Refrain from checking facebook or other social media while studying.
- Inform your parents and siblings that you will studying for stipulated amount of time. They shouldnâ€™t disturb you unless it is essential.
- If necessary, reply to texts or phone while taking a break.
- If you are easily distracted, take quicker breaks but do not allow a 5 minute break to extend into a 20 minute break.
- Use Resources Wisely
- When youâ€™re facing problems understanding a topic, access multiple resources and find one that explains the topic in a simplified manner.
- Do enough research on your assignment through online professional sites, so that you are able to write a well informed and detailed assignment without having to use useless sentences.
- The internet is the quickest and easiest source of information. The more you research; it is more likely that you will be able to figure out answers to questions that are seemingly complicated.
- If there is not enough information online, visit the nearest library. There will be at least one textbook with all the material that is required.
- Look for fun ways to do work. Use post its and sticky notes to write down important points or to mark of places that need to be studied again.
- The teacher is available to clarify any doubts that arise. Instead of procrastination, ask them questions so that no time is wasted.
- Hire a tutor if remedial classes or extra help is necessary. They will be able to help solve problems and aid in effectual studying before examinations or tests.
- In younger classes, parents are also able to help with homework.
- This can be turned into bonding time for parents and children. They will also have a fair idea about their childâ€™s weaknesses and how he/she is functioning at school.
- Study with Friends
- Group projects ensure that each person has a specific topic to focus on. This will enhance the quality of the project, since students can pick and choose their area of expertise.
- Whenever a problem arises, each person can help to solve and thus, learn from each other.
- Assignments finish a lot faster if each student focuses on their task and the work is divided.
- This reduces the amount of stressed placed on a single person to complete an entire assignment.
- Studying with just one other friend who is good in biology can help raise your grades.
- They will be a motivating factor to do better and study harder.
There are just a few of the ways in which one can get excellent grades in biology. At the end of the day, it depends on the discipline, determination, focus and willingness a student possesses to achieve more than the average person. Sticking to routines and deadlines may be difficult but it will be worth it in the end.
Once the good grades start flowing in, they will act as a motivating factor to keep students on the path to success. Remember, nothing happens overnight. Patience is necessary for the process.