Engineering is a profession that involves constantly innovating, efficiently executing visions of science and designing effective utilities. Over the years, the numbers of engineers have grown exponentially and therefore the competition in this particular career prospect is cutting edge. There are a lot of opportunities nevertheless.Â Mechanical Engineering in particular is one of the oldest branches of engineering and is considered as a core branch along with branches like electrical and civil. Mechanical engineering graduates go through a rigorous curriculum and are required to some practical training.
Mechanical being a core branch has rendered itself indelible and finds application in most sectors. Therefore Students of mechanical engineering not only have a bright prospect in terms of employment but also the research opportunities look quite promising and rewarding. To add to that Mechanical engineers get paid well and there are a few good scholarship options for people pursuing further studies.
Mechanical is considered as one of the evergreen branches, which means that engineers of this discipline should be adaptable and therefore find employment in this fast developing world. Knowledge and insight in related subjects like Design, Power & thermal engineering, Thermodynamics, HVAC also known as Air Condition & Ventilation, Production & Maintenance Engineering and quality control are ideal characteristics of a mechanical engineer. One might excel in this field either by gaining practical experiences through their core jobs or doing research in their labs, based on the developing principles.
Job Prospects after completing Mechanical Engineering
In order to survive as a Mechanical Engineer in this fast changing World, one needs to adapt accordingly and keep him/her self updated with the recent trends. Numerous jobs are available but before that one must known the duties and the necessary qualities of becoming a successful Mechanical Engineer.
Basic job mechanical engineering duties may include the following:
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Evaluating situations and problems and solving them with the use of thermal and mechanical procedure.
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Designing specific devices based on predetermined experimental inferences.
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Designing & Simulating prototypes of concept devices/vehicles/machines.
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Quality control and Manufacture supervising roles.
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Develop concept thermal or mechanical procedures with the help of graphic simulations.
Â·Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Empirical & goal oriented problem solving attitude. To add to that they need to fast and have a clear mindset because their decisions might include risky scenarios sometimes.
- Fluency in mathematics. Basic mathematical principles of trigonometry and calculus are extremely important for mechanical engineering works.
- Clear Analyzing skills and awareness about the recent trends in his/her respective area of work.
- Innovation is necessary for mechanical engineers because it involves creating and designing machineries and utilities.
- Good knowledge of the basic principles of mechanics.
Employment Statistics & Wage
According to 2012 statistics about 258000 mechanical engineers have been found employed, across the globe. But this number is only those 63% who have been lucky enough to find employment. Others are either unemployed or pursuing their research goals. The percentage of mechanical engineers employed in each sector has been given below:
- Machine design, manufacture, research & development-14%.
- Information Technology & Electronic Equipment Industry-8%.
- Automobile Industry-13%.
- Material Science & Fabrication- 6%.
- Structural engineering jobs-22%.
Employment within in the domain itself has decreased in the last few years. Therefore some graduates have managed to find employment in other sectors. This rate however will grow by five percent in the coming decade. This figure might seem comparatively low but there is always a job for someone who is willing to adapt with the ever changing trends.
As far as the pay of a mechanical is concerned, their estimated median pay ranges up to $120k roughly. However in some cases it has been as low as $50k. Average seems pretty good.
You surely take an interest in knowing what projects can you work at home being a mechanical engineer?
Following jobs or roles in the following industries can take by an individual who has graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering:
- Production Engineer â€“
One of the most respected wings of mechanical, this stream involves largely with quality control or design.
- Power Plant Engineer–
As the name suggests, the job involves monitoring power generation and related mechanical and thermal devices.
- Project Engineer–
Might a large number of scenarios. Usually involves chances of showing innovation and designing abilities. Employment is mostly available in consultancy firms.
- Design Engineer–
Mainly involves designing.
- HVAC or Air Condition & Ventilation–
Lot of jobs is available in workshops and pipe, steel and mold manufacturing units.
- Software Engineer–
Though this seem like an off-road from the main stream but many professionals have deviated into this stream for the money and the comfortable sedentary life involved.
Research & Further Study Prospects after Completing Mechanical Engineering
Research can be quite exciting and rewarding when it comes to Mechanical Engineering specialization fields. This discipline not only offers a wide range of promising research areas and they have often proven to be rewarding. To add to that while a graduate is pursuing further studies, he/she can opt for scholarships under many renowned universities. Many universities offer student loans as well and as far as PhD candidates are concerned, they receive a stipend to support their research. In some cases researches are funded by wealthy people, especially when experimentations involve costly equipments.
Here are some Specializations offered by one of the Mechanical Department of one of the most Renowned Universities of the World:
- System, Control & Measurement Engineering– Large number of applications in fields of device/vehicle manufacture and system design.
- Acoustics Engineering & Unwanted Noise Control– One of the oldest and interesting specializations offered.
- Design– Deals with Industrial process.
- Combustion Engineering â€“ In domain of fuel related research.
- Thermal Engineering & Heat Transfer– Thermodynamics related.
- Propulsion mechanics and advanced Fluid mechanics â€“ Application in Aerospace, Aerodynamics, Pharmaceuticals and many other areas.
- Air Condition, Ventilation, Heating & Refrigeration– As the name suggests.
- Materials Science & Solid State Devices– Very promising and exciting, involves research with solid state devices.
- Vibration Mechanics – Applications involved with many mechanical sub-disciplines, especially acoustics.
- Nanotechnology– Very promising and new, this field delves in to the nano scales for creating effective devices.
- Robotics– Another very promising and has applications in many interdisciplinary fields.
- Manufacture & Quality Control– Research for better and more efficient methods.
To sum up this discipline offers almost equally good job and research prospects.