Written assignments are an integral part of curriculum, whatever is the discipline being learned. Though English is our native language, most students have problems with English assignments. Here’s a guide to complete your language assignments in a systematic and hassle-free way.
- Fully grasp the topic
- When a topicis given for written assignment, first thing to do is to completely understand it.
- Make a checklist and question yourself on various aspects of assignment. Ensure that you have fully understood what is expected to be done.
- If you have a choice in selection of topic, select one which is of your interests -one which will not make you feel like leaving in between.
- If the topic is already set and it is something you really detest, then I have only one advice to give. Come to terms with the facts. You have to do it and can do it. So plunge into it headlong.
- Research and gather data
Once you have made up your mind on the assignment topic, next step is to gather all available information on it.
- Be careful about of the source of collecting information. For all factual data, always depend on reliable sources. Being wrong on your information part may invite trouble.
- If assignment is related to some creative work, you can’t actually gather data. Begin by searching for samples of related work. Having a sample of the required assignment type in your hand makes your job a lot easier.
- Search for innovative ideas that will make your assignment stand out from the rest. There is no dearth of ideas on the internet.
- Classify the main and sub-topics
If your assignment is vast and covers a lot of ideas, then best way is to prioritize. Select one topic as major and others to go with it.
- The major topic should be one around which you can easily weave your entire work. It should be the one that interests reader and most importantly, one who can fetch some brownie points.
- Every subordinate ideashould be selected in such a manner that it can be properly co-ordinated with the main one.
- When the topic has been already given, it is up to you to find out themes that will go with the main one and enhance it.
- Devise the structure
It is important that your work should be well structured and organised. Don’t let your ideas be spread out in a wayward manner. Have the proper sequencing in your mind before you start writing. Weave the ideas in an interesting way. When in doubt about the proper structure required, seek external help.
- Remember the 3Cs while drafting
While writing your assignments, keep the 3 Cs in mind.
- Correctness of the matter is the most important point to be considered. If the facts are not correct, even the most beautiful writing will give you only harsh remarks.
- Conciseness is important as well. Be precise and economical with your words. Make use of fewer but stronger words.
- Clarity is to be maintained for the reader to fully comprehend your writing. Don’t put anything vaguely. When you write, do it with conviction.
- Proper introduction
Now we will come to the body of the assignment. A proper introduction will get your reader hooked to the work. There is no need to always start with a bang. But begin in a manner which arouses interests in reader’s mind. Remember, the reader is none other than your educator or examiner in most cases. Catch his attention with the introduction.
- Body of assignment
Drafting the body is the most time consuming and daunting task.
- Don’t feel disheartened if you are not getting it all in one go. Some big assignments take several hours of toil.
- Connect the ideas systematically. It should look like a well-researched piece of work.
- Assert your main points so that it leaves its mark on the readers.
- Make sure that you are not leaving behind any relevant matter.
- Stay away from anything irrelevant or frivolous.
- Fitting conclusion
As important as the introduction is the conclusion. This is the last chance to impress the reader. Don’t assume that your professor will be too busy to read till the end. Sum up your writing in a graceful manner.
- Use your language wisely
- In any assignment, it is wise to use simple, yet effective language.
- When using difficult words, make sure that they are used in the right context.
- Make small sentences. Use small quotations and phrases to make the presentation more visually appealing.
- Bear in mind that quality is always better than quantity. It is not the number of pages, but the quality of writing that matters.
- No to jargons
I have seen many students fall prey to this tendency. Please do not use unnecessary jargons in your assignments.
- Unnecessary jargons spoil the beauty of writing.
- Where short, simple words can do the work, use them.
- Assignments are not for showing off your vocabulary.
- Read what you write
Apply this simple logic, if you cannot make yourself read what you have written, how can others be expected to read through it? Reading, again and again, helps to find out any errors that might have crept in.
- Take expert help
When you hit a dead end while going through a tedious assignment, it is better to seek external help. Your professors or seniors might be willing to help out. Also go online and search for professional educational help. Expert guidance will ensure that your submissions are perfect.
- Be open to edit
Never think that you are perfect. Mistakes can happen to anyone. Showyour submissions to your peers and they could give suggestions for improvements. Don’t disregard them offhand. Think and if you find it good, be ready to accept. A good student always tries to improve.
- Submit fearlessly
When you have done the part, the result will be an error-free work in your hand. Submit your assignment within the time limits.
If you follow these steps and do wisely and nicely, there is nothing to stop you from scoring well. So buckle up and move on.