Any sort of quantitative data which is selected for study can be termed as statistics. This subject forms a greater part of mathematics and involves learning mathematics skills in details.
Some W’s on Statistics
What is statistics?
Statistics is astudy of numerous data through graphs, bars and diagrams in order to derive at an inference. It involves sampling methods where samples are collected from a population and based on this sample size an inference is drawn. Most problems based on statistics involves representation in excel sheets. Pictorial diagrams like histograms, pie charts, bar diagrams, graphs and Pareto analysis form a part of statistics.
Why do people learn statistics?
Statistics helps researchers and scholars in research, medicine and economic scenarios. Through this subject, people get a basic understanding of how facts and figures can be collected from reliable sources to derive accurate results. People who are in love with numbers and data are the ones who are more likely to pursue this subject as a career option.
When can a person apply statistics?
Statistics can be applied in numerous fields like science, medicine, political, sociological and most importantly in fields related to economics. Economists study the subject to determine fluctuations in exchange rates, inflation rate and determine the overall position of an economy.
Which strategies would be the best to solve statistics?
Problem-solving and forecast analysis would help a statistics student to solve problems related to the subject. Forecasting can be done by weather forecasts to study weather and climate, can be done by the research team of a marketing organization to understand thedemand of a product or can be utilized by a utility industry to determine the supply of water for a location. Strategies would require a person to know what and which type of samples should be considered with relevance to the case.
Learning is fun with Statistics
When I was a kid, I always fancied about the colorful bar diagrams and pie charts depicted on the board by my school teacher. I enjoyed the shapes and colorful annotations used in school books. This way I started developing an interest in the subject. Since every child has a soft corner for colors and charts, thus statistics can be a great way of learning. Students would be attracted to these charts and would strive to solve them. Initially, it would always be tough but after proper guidance from teachers, these statistics assignments can become enjoyable. Once students start liking the subject, then they develop an interest in it and this way it would be a great mode of learning for them.
Home works and assignments on Statistics
When doing homework at home students have a tendency to feel bored and lethargic. When a student is exposed to graphs and charts, their minds start working in different directions. Students tend to derive relations of such charts to their daily activities in their minds. They try to relate problems related to math, science or geography to pie charts and different creative things pop up in their minds. Thus, statistics homework can be a very useful tool for learning. Young minds are very much fascinated by pictures and images and thus, through statistical charts, different subjects seem to be easy for them.
Lets us discuss a few methods in which statistics homework can be a great way of learning
- 1. Pictorial images: As discussed above statistics involves a great way of learning. Pictorial diagrams used in statistics helps to create a long lasting impression in minds of young people. With these diagrams, they can relate to other subjects as well like science, geometry or geography.
- 2. Everyday examples: With amean, median and mode students can apply such concepts in their everyday lives. Homework based on statistics would allow students to tackle that unused part of thebrain and bring it to an active status. Concepts of average and percentage can be seen applying when buying goods or when deciding their share amongst a group of friends. These way students develop theconcept of sharing and dividing.
- 3. Derive results for future: With statisticalresults, students can predict outcomes for the future. They will be able to learn different concepts related to measurement, frequency, samplingConcepts of the quantity of milk required to feed five kids arerelated to measurement. The concept of the number of times a person shall skip to lose weight is related to frequency. Concepts like what sort of people is approached to get anidea about their shopping habits are related to sampling.
- 4. Helps in organizing and planning data: Statistics also enhances learning capabilities by helping in organizing the collected data. For example, if a bunch of ten people was interviewed then how many amongst them would be able to provide the most authentic data. These assignments can be used to learn concepts of organizing data in daily lives as well.
- 5. Paves way for better understanding of other subjects: Statistics assignments would allow students to get a better understanding of other subjects as well. It would open up minds of people for different fields like Industry, commerce, physics, banking, psychology, biology, botany and so on. Any business requires risk to be taken and requires making an analysis of future demands. In the banking sector as well statistics plays a vital role. Banks need to sure that the number of withdrawals should not exceed the deposits in a certain day. Such situations can be explained by use of probability.
Statistics in everyday life
In everydaylives, we use statistics or its related terms in our conversations. Like “what was your percentage in last semester?”, or “I am likely to fall sick if I work this hard” and “does anybody know the number of times this bus passes by”? The thing which is commonto all these questions is statistics. The concepts of mean, probability and mode were asked in all the three questions respectively.You would have noticed that these are the most common questions we ask each other, and all its solutions are attributable to statistics.
Thus, Statistics has become an inevitable part of our daily lives. It has indeed become a great way of learning!!!!