Mathâ€™s is no wonder a nightmare for most kids. Children feel all the more scared and fear doing math problems. It is a known fact that mathematics is the most disliked subject of a majority of students. Parents spend a huge amount on math tutors and coaching classes but all their efforts seem to go in vain.
A Brief on Mathematics
Mathematics is a critical subject which has its application in all spheres of life. Be it calculating bills from grocery store to calculating the number of children needing an ice-cream, math is always present. There is no escape from math. No matter how old you get the subject will never leave you however hard you try to escape from it.
Why always problems with Math?
This is because of inappropriate teaching techniques students are exposed to. At a very tender age children are burdened to learn their tables and solve numeric problems. This causes their young mind to perceive the subject as boring and tedious. It is true with us adults as well. Sometimes even we get pissed off with stuffs which we do not get hold of and eventually we drop the idea of doing it. So is the case with children who are more vulnerable to lose interest.
Few strategies to adopt while doing Mathematics assignments
- Make use of drawings: Pictorial representation always have a long lasting effect on young minds. Basic problem is that students do not understand the question or problem in the first instance and get stuck in the very beginning. If they are to make a picture of the problem and understand what the numeric asks them for then it will be easier for them to derive at a conclusion. Thus teachers shall adopt this innovative approach and make use of drawings and pictures to help children understand the concepts of mathematics.
- Make use of multiple choice questions (MCQ): The MCQ format will allow students to adopt a backward approach while solving math assignments. Once a kid starts solvingproblems however even after repeated attempts cannot find an answer. This causes lethargy and reluctance to learn the subject. Thus through MCQ, students would have to choose from 4 to 5 options. These ways student have four options in front of them. Now it is up to them to solve backwards, from answer to the questions and find the best fitted answer.
- Reward and appreciation for work: Every individual wants to be appreciated and praised if they perform better. Such rewards works as a motivational factor for them and allows them to work better the next time. So is the case with kids. Kids love the appreciation and applauses. Each time a kid completes his work on time with accuracy, he deserves to praised and rewarded. This strives way for more improved works in future.
- Two way communication in classrooms: Students get bored when teacher keeps on talking and thus they lose attention. This brings monotony in them for the subject. So classroom atmosphere should be a two way approach where interactions are welcomed from students as well. Students should be allowed to express their ideas and understandings so that teachers could cater to the individual needs of students.
Few more tips on Math assignments:
- Plan your assignment a week before submission
- Once you getthe topic of assignment be sure to understand what questions asks you and try to understand the question before proceeding further
- Make a time-table for each day and make sure you achieve each dayâ€™s target.
- Try to adopt realistic targets which are achievable, set targets which you are capable of achieving.
- Make a self evaluation plan and list your weak areas.
- Take help from teachers to help you with problems you noted on the list.
- Make corrections and derive a conclusion for you assignment
- Recheck twice or maybe thrice before submission.
- After submission make sure to review the feedback received from teachers. This would prevent you from making the same mistakes in future.
- Not all math assignments are difficult; itâ€™s just how you perceive the problems to be.
Math assignments and the role of teachers
Teachers play an important role in developing young minds and preparing them to face battles of tomorrow. It is the teacher who can changestudentâ€™s concept of math from boring to interesting. Thus few suggestions are discussed below on the role of teacherâ€™s contribution to help students to better their math assignments:
- Communicate learning goals: Teachers should let students know learning objects of each day and make sure that students retaliate in return. This way student would be aware about their each dayâ€™s expectations and would show efforts from the very beginning.
- Demonstration: Students learn math better through videos and music in a friendly manner. Try to involve interesting videos in their curriculum which they will watch with interest. Such interests can be later changed to a positive score in math assignments. Teachers should make PowerPoint presentations for children. Through images and videos they would be able to learn better and eventually score better. With a better score their morale rises and this brings confidence in them to perform with more efforts in future.
- Ask more questions to involve students: Students should be asked over and over again that whether they have learned the topic or whether they have got an understanding of the subject. This makes students to come out of their comfort zones and ask questions frequently to clear any doubts which they have while solving these problems. Most kids fail to ask whenever they are stuck with a math problem. This keeps building and leads to absenteeism and loss of interest. Thus teachers should approach students and find out about the students understanding.
- Practice is the root word: Teachers should motivate students to practice more and more math questions and assignments. With more practice sets and drills, young minds work faster to derive results. Make their minds involved in playful math games and make interesting work assignments for them.
- Timely feedback and evaluations: Students should be told about their performances in these assignments on a regular basis. This will give them a push to perform better. With weekly feedbacks and evaluations students would be inspired to work harder the next time.
- Be patient: Patience is must for both teacher and student when doing math assignments. The subject requires explaining and understanding of concepts from teachers and students respectively. Teachers should not get angry and be calm when explaining kids even if it means that you explain a thousand times. Kids will ask questions and itâ€™s good that they ask questions. This shows their inquisitiveness to solve math problems.
- Team building: This would help children to learn concepts of team work which is a vital component of math assignment. They should be able to work together as a team and solve math assignment like a team to get results. With team or group work, students can interact with their mates and share their weak and strong areas. In this way they would help each other with the assignments.