A student not paying attention in their studies and education is a common and most widespread problem in our academic society. Parents, guardians or teachers very often complain about children being too hasty and talkative in class or unmindful, distracted or sometimes ignorant about their studies.They mostly rebuke or punish these children to correct them, but yet if it doesnot bear result, then it would be wise to rethink. Try to find out whether or not this child has any disorderly situation both mentally and physically.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, abbreviated as ADHD is a serious disease in children that parents usually regard as naughtiness or ignorance. But, it is true that ADHD should not be takenlightly, and if such a patient is treated the wrong wayor in the way of dealing with usual children, then it might prove to betoo dangerous.So, if any parenthas such a differently abled child or any teacher comes across such students with ADHD, they need to know how to deal with them.
A teacher never knowswhen they might face such a student. So they need to be trained beforehand how to deal with such situations so that when it comes, they can provide professional assistance – not just as a teacher, but also as counselor.Here are some ways and steps which parents or teachers may adopt to effectively treat children with ADHD.
- Arrange for lesser distractions
Children with ADHD are highly prone to distractions. So, it would be a wise idea if we can reduce the chances of distractions.It will help them to focus their mind on one thing.
- In classes, open sky, natural beauty and other means of enjoyment can be an extreme source of distraction in classroom as well as at home.
- So,it must be ensured that the scene outside the classroom and home is nothing interesting.
- It would be wiserto not make a classroom or study room beside a playground or lush green field or something more exciting
- If none of that is possible, make sure that if such a differently abled student is in classroom, then the windows are closed and no noise or interference comes from outside.
Hence, bringing down distractions to a minimum will dispense away with all things that divideconcentration of a student and hence completely focus on the only job left, studying.
- Help them to cope with classroom
The main problem with ADHD children is that they cannot control their mind or bodywhile in class. So, any teacher and of course, the parents must find a way so that they can cope up a bit with school or college environment. They must teach those children to participate actively in the lectures of their teachers asking intelligent questions. It would be better if this is treated as a brain game. Then they can then find interest in these classes and a way to concentrate.
- Parents take initiatives
As a parent of a child with ADHD, you have a responsibility and must take initiatives for them.Make sure that the school or institute is taking enough care to your child –Because really that is what will matter in the long run.
- Communicate with their institute before the beginning of each term. If not possible, at least talk to the authorities once a month.
- Find out what precisely your child requires or demands from the teachers or other staffs of the school.
- Try to look for all what the teachers are expecting from your ward and where they are failing about it.
- Try to fix goals for your child. They should not be too much high ortough to achieve, but normal.
- Try to go with them
It is true that all ADHD symptoms are not to be encouraged in a civilized society. They look rude, disturbing as well as socially aggressive and often create a lot of commotion and controversy.
- Parents might feel uncomfortable or angry with their child if theyinterrupt others while talking, or perhaps poking their noses in adult business instead of minding their own. But you must be careful what you say to them, behave with them or punish them.
- Teachers too may find it pretty annoying that a specific student in class keeps disturbing the class or ask unrelated stupid questions to the teachers. But, think twice before you take any disciplinary step against them. It may cause more damage than help.
- Usually, the self-esteem orself-confidence of such children is very fragile and sensitive. If they are scolded severely or punished before whole class, then they might lose their self-respect and become more desperate and agile. So, it will be better to talk to them in private, give those fair amounts of warnings and help them to understand the social norms and rules better.
- Usually, students with ADHD are very active and hence cannot sit still and do any work for long. So, make them do their work in such a way that goes with their behavior. Make them do studies which involveactiveness, motions, and movements. Also let them move while studying, like walking while reading a book or reciting while doing something else – to be more precise, multitasking.
- Involve them indoing other household tasks and running errands for parents at home or teachers at school. Ask them to bring a glass of water from the fridge or to carry a bunch of exam papers with the teacher to the teachers’ room.
- Teach to control impulse
Impulsiveness and aggression are some of the characteristic features of ADHD, as you now know. So, as a teacher or parent instead of punishing them, you should teach them ways, means and tricks to control their emotions and aggression. For example, whenever they feel restless tell them to take deep breaths and relax. If they feel angry or excited, teach them to bring it down by counting to say, ten. That should definitely show some improvement in their behavior.
- Take online help
Apart from all these, you can also seek experts’ and professionals’ helponline for your ADHD child. It is clearly seen that the online sites can provide efficient assistance to differently abled academicians for their academics and educations – not to mention the petty homework.After all, we all know very well that Online assignment help is the key to score better in studies for any academicians no matter whether they have ADHD or not.
Deal with these in an ideal manner, and you can surely improve the whole working space as I did.