If you are still in school then one of the many things that definitely bug you is homework.This all too familiar dislike for homework by students is not new. As Dan Quisenberry, the star reliever of the Kansas City Royals once quoted, â€œWhat I like about baseball – there’s no homework!â€ Since doing homework takes up most of your evening, you work non-stop to be able to finish it as soon as possible. Till today, most of the students believe that working without a break helps to finish faster.What they do not realize, that this takes them twice the time to finish when compared to doing the same work with small gaps. In this article, we hope to address the question of how long should you do homework before taking a break.
Leo Widrich at buffer says that â€˜itâ€™s in human nature: when we often visualize ourselves as machines â€“ which move linearly â€“ we are really organisms, which change cyclically.â€™ Your brain can work only within a certain time limit after which it loses focus, interest and creativity after which work efficiency falls.
How long should you do homework before taking a break?
- Some researchers believe that that any person can fully concentrate on a task for 20 minutes without getting distracted.
- Some say that an average attention span for a human brain ranges between 30 to 45 minutes.
- If you search online, you also come with time spans as long as between 90 to 120 minutes.
Every human being is an individual and so are his study sessions. You can decide as to how long you should do homework before taking a break. These time limits also depend on the task that is being performed. If it is something that you love, like band practice, you can go on for hours. On the other hand, studying a chapter of math may lose you interest within 10 minutes.
This is an excellent technique and a great answer to how long should you do homework before taking a break:-
- It is one of the most effective methods of time management developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s. Pomodoro in Italian means tomato and this technique got its name from a tomato timer used by Francesco.
- It can be used by both students and adults alike.
- In this technique, your work is broken down into time intervals of 25minutes each of which is called a pomodoro.
- It consists of 6 essential steps â€“
- Decide a task which is to be done.
- Set your timer to one pomodoro or 25minutes.
- Work on your homework steadily until the timer rings. In case, a distraction does pop in your head, write it down on a piece of paper before heading back immediately onto the task again.
- When the timer rings, put a tick mark on a piece of paper.
- If you do need a break with less than 4 tick marks on your paper, go for a short break of 3 to 4 minutes. Then move on to step 1.
- If you successfully sit through 4 pomodoros or 4 tick marks, reward yourself with a long break of 15 â€“ 30 minutes.Set your tick mark count to zero and begin again with step 1.
How long should you do homework before taking a break depends on individual capability.A human mind is like a rubber band. With some practice, it can stretch itself beyond your comprehension.Beginners can begin with a 15 to 20 minute pomodoro before going into a break. Slowly, increase this study session to 25minutes and move up to 45 minutes. Going beyond this is not advisable. After all, your brain is not a machine and needs rest.
What to do in between breaks?
Since doing homework is taxing both to the brain and your eyes, it is advisable to indulge in activities that relax them.
- Use the break to take long walk in the garden or a nearby park.
- Laughter is the best medicine. You could watch a funny video on YouTube. A good laughter boosts the heart rate and releases endorphins, the bodyâ€™s natural feel-good hormones. These chemicals produce a state of well-being pumping you up for another session of homework.
- Keep yourself motivated.
Rejuvenate body and mind
Even though our primary concern is on how long should you do homework before taking a break, we must also focus on ways to keep our body and mind energized â€“
- Eat Right:
Having the right meal or snack is necessary to provide you with the right amount of energy. Sugar and carbohydrates give an instant surge in energy but later make you sluggish and sleepy. Instead, snack on food rich in protein and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Munch on walnuts and incorporate flaxseeds, salmon and tuna in the diet. Study shows that omega 3 fatty acids help in improving the mood and brain functions.
- Dried apricots, bananas, figs and plums are rich source of potassium. Absence of this mineral in your diet causes lethargy and memory problems.
- Carry a whole grain, protein bar in case you constantly moving around.
- See Colors:
Study has it that seeing green like a garden or grassy rooftops reduces error and improved concentration. In addition, seeing something scarlet gives you a burst of energy, gears you to move and do things faster.
Even a simple stretch stimulates your nervous system, energizing your body and mind.
Yawning is natureâ€™s way to cool your brain essentially waking it up.
They methods help combat tiredness and keep you from becoming sluggish. The more relaxed you arethe how long should you do homework before taking a break.
Homework is necessary. It helps you to get good grades and improves your GPA. Getting into a good college becomes easier. Having a college education gives you great benefits while seeking a job. You are financially and socially secured. Hope, this piece did help providing you an answer to how long should you do homework before taking a break.