Chemistry has a vast expanse. It has made a profound impact on the society. It helps in making medicine, making cosmetics, processing food and for making many other inanimate materials. It is intimately linked to the well-being of mankind.
The rate of advancement in chemistry is so high that curriculum developers continuously look for strategies to cope up with these advancements. Students also need to have enough passion tolearn the subject and the entire key factor and techniques to cope up the subject and keep them in their memory perfectly for a long time.
For an example learning some secret methods to memorise periodic table effectively helps them a lot to achieve good academic grades in chemistry. So, to learn the subject and explore,this advent of different parts of chemistryhelps student for making the fundamental contribution in this field and society.
As Chemistry is greatly vast so it is not usually possible for anyone to cover up the whole matter in one life. So to easier access the subject is classified into these following parts:
- Physical chemistry deals with physical properties of substances.
- Inorganic chemistry is concerned about chemical properties, interactions and reactions of substances obtained from nonliving sources like air, water, ores,
- Organic chemistry discusses chemical properties and reaction, involving complex substances which are obtained from plants, animals and other living sources.
Here, our topic of discussion is organic chemistry. So, let us first brush up its concept a bit. You must be familiar with this fact that chemical bonds and chemistry is mostly all about sharing of electrons between atoms of different elements.
If the number of electrons shared by each to another is one, then it is called single bond and if it is two or threeit is termed as double and triple bonds respectively.
Organic chemistry is the detailed study of these chemical bonding in organic compounds that is substances obtained from living sources.
An organic chemistry student will agree that it is not a very easy subject as it has many classifications and subcategories which are based on mainly the number of bonds and the element(s) bonded to carbon atoms.The classifications are,Chemistry of –
They are hydrocarbon compounds with only single bonds involved amongst the carbon atoms. They have a general formula CnH2n+2, where n is any integer (1, 2, 3,…).
Some examples are methane (CH4), ethane (C2H6), propane (C3H8), etc.
They are hydrocarbon compounds with one or moredouble bonds involved amongst the carbon atoms. They have a general formula CnH2n, where n is any integer (1, 2, 3…). Some examples are etheneor ethylene (C2H4), propene (C3H6), butene(C4H8)etc.
They are hydrocarbon compounds with one or more triple bonds involved amongst the carbon atoms. They have a general formula CnH2n-2, where n is any integer (1, 2, 3…). Some examples are ethyne or acetylene (C2H2), propyne (C3H4), butyne(C4H6) etc.
They are those organic carbon compounds which has atleast one (–OH) or hydroxyl group attached to a carbon atom which has bonded to no other atoms other than carbon and hydrogen.They form major components in a spirit.
Some examples aremethanol or methyl alcohol (H3C-OH), ethanol or ethyl alcohol (H5C2-OH) which is thealcohol found widely in hard drinks, etc.
- Carbonyl compounds
They are those compounds which have an oxygenatom bonded to one carbon atom with a double bond. They are of mainly three types: Ketones, which are the compounds where the carbon bonded with oxygen is linked to two carbon atoms directly.
Aldehyde, where the carbon linked to oxygen is bonded to hydrogen and a carbon atom; Carboxylic acid, where this carbon in consideration is bonded to a carbon and a hydroxyl group. Some examples are acetic acid (CH3COOH), formaldehyde (HCHO), etc.
- Aromatic compounds
These are compounds with characteristicaroma and consist of one or more phenyl group(–C6H5). In a phenyl group or ina benzene ring (C6H6), there are strange bonds between two carbon atom which can be compared with an average of single and double bonds. Some examples are – Naphthalene (C10H8), phenol (C6H5OH), etc.
So, student, you can understand that, in organic chemistry has a vast expanse with various factors and you had to explore the subject from the core of your heart to pass in organic chemistry.Do not panic if you can give the effort academically sure you will be successful to reach the goal.
Here are few ways which lead you to the sure success:
- Regular attendance in class
To learn every nook and corner of organic chemistry in the syllabus you must attend the class regularly. Or else,
- You cannot follow the continuation and are lagging behind day by day.
- It will led you far away from your goal, youwill unable to get good academics
- Follow the class perfectly
You must be attentive and follow the subject matters that are discussedin the class by your teacher. Try to understand all the explanationof your teacher regarding the subject matter it will help to study further.
- Clear the doubts immediately
If you have any doubt or quarry about the subject, you should make it clear from your teacher immediately. If it is required, you may ask your teacher for a second time explanation too.
- Pay concentration In the laboratory
Laboratoriesare indispensable for science subjects like chemistry. Special attentions should be givento the laboratory works.
- Full concentration is required while doing experiments in thechemistry In fact, all your learning is tested during such experiments.
- Try to know about all the experimental apparatus, the perfectprocess to use them, and the exact procedures of doing an experiment before.
- These experiments are live demonstrations and hence, enhance your knowledge about the subject,so do not get frustrated if you fail a few times initially.
- Study in home
Learning only in class is not enough for scoring well in organic chemistry. So, students need to study further in their home too.
- Start home study immediate after class as your class materials and teacher’s explanation should be still fresh in your mind.
- Further study will help to understand the subject topic perfectly and to build a clear concept about the matter.
- It helps to prepare you thoroughly for your exam so that you can achieve good academics in organic chemistry.
- Pay concentration while studying
As home study is important so students need to concentrate on it.
- Choose a noise free,calm spot which is abit isolated from the main house so that you can concentrate on your study.
- Try to keep your siblings away from your study room as they can distract you from your study.
- Avoid another distractive thing such as Phones, social media, chatting apps, video games, television. Use computer and the internet only when required for the study
- Focus on thesubject as many details and critical concepts are there in organic chemistry.
- Group study can help to clear many doubts hence, enhance your concept, skills and problem-solving
- Practice more.
Practice makes a man perfect, so you too need to practice more with small breaks between. Make your own way to practice and schedule as per your own convenience.
- Learn from your failure
You may come across failure, do not panic. Try to learn from your failure
- Take help from the best
You may require assistance for learning the subject perfectly. Online tutorials are the latest and best way of all.
- During the exams
Your finalbattle is on the grounds of exams. Stay cool during exams, read the questions thoroughly before writing. Even if you encounter a question which is difficult for you, remember a single question cannot determine your marks entirely.