If you are here reading this post, it probably because you might be planning to enrol in a PhD course, right? But are you getting stressed about choosing a good topic? Well, there is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about my friend!
Know all about how to choose a thesis topic for PhD, here in this post. Now, this quite a common question which I often have to answer and to be honest it is not as easy as filling in a specific gap in your report! Choosing a good thesis topic is quite crucial because everything about your research will depend on it.
What makes a good research?
- Well, you can always get many brilliant ideas from all over the internet but the ultimate quality of your thesis will entirely depend on the way you execute it.
- An average idea when executed in a terrific manner will produce much better results than a poorly executed brilliant idea. Analytical research skills are something which you gradually develop over time. So, you need not worry about being a pro since day one, alright? Keep reading and you’ll know all about how to choose a thesis topic for PhD.
- One thing which you need to remember clearly is that your topic of interest must be academically important in other fields as well. This will depend partly on your problem solving capabilities and the originality of your work.
- You also need to consider about delivering the work within a stipulated time.
- Ensure to match your opinions and consult with your supervisor. You might not want to go against his/her wishes while choosing a topic because that will only give you thorns on your research journey.
Develop a good idea before moving further
Learning is analogous to academic research but on a social scale. Rather than working on a completely new idea it is better if you can find an edge to work on. By this, what I mean to say is, it is always smarter to continue an existing research with newer methodologies. Try to go through various research journals before pursuing your research. It is very critical so that you can understand how to choose a thesis topic for PhD.
Often in additional supplementary reports there are certain assumptions which are yet to be tested and proved. You can always start your work right from there and then give it a good shape to create your own thesis.
So, you want to know how to choose a thesis topic for PhD?Well, keep scrolling down to know everything about it. There will be a time quite soon while you scan for some amazing topics for your PhD, when you will have to commit to a specific project topic. Let me tell you from my personal experience that there is no fixed formula, which you’ll have to follow here.But, of course there are a few questions which you can jot down to understand and plan better.
Here’s a glimpse of those questions:
- First, and foremost you need to understand if your project has a clear aim?
- Have you thought about the techniques or methodologies that you will apply?
- What are the specific resources and funding that you will need to start your project and execute it successfully?
- Do your seniors have the relevant expertise to help you out in your thesis?
- How far will you work to make your project successful?
- If needed will you be able to justify why the project should be of interest to the others?
- Are there any set of skills that you’ll have to learn or you need to develop?
Sit down, relax and note down these points. Once you know all the answers, you’ll feel fully confident about how to choose a thesis topic for PhD.
Time for those handy tips and tricks
- Please choose a topic that you are passionate about. Unless you are concerned about the topic, you won’t really put the kind of effort that you need to complete the thesis. It is always better to take advice from your supervisor but ultimately you should choose whatever you feel is right for you.
- Keep your topic to the point and do not exaggerate the topic much.
- Always stick to facts and evidences to support your theories and methodologies.
- Consider several ideas and do some brainstorming, my friend because that is extremely important to carry on a research work. Once you create your list of topics you’ll know how to choose a thesis topic for PhD.
- Try to investigate older ideas, as I have already mentioned earlier. It is always better to find an edge and work on it because that’ll not only give you a head-start but will also provide you with the data source points.
- Be open to all the advice and as flexible as you can. Your supervisor and other colleagues are going to give you millions of advices. You must listen to them all and then decide what you want to do.
- Have patience! That is the key to success. Well, I was always a fickle minded person and I used to switch from one topic to another. But, the more time you spend to decide on the topic, the better your work is going to be.
- Focus on your research and read through several dissertations on the related subjects. That is going to help you to get familiar with your topic.
- Work on your analytical skills because you have to sharpen them over time.
- Do not overestimate yourself! Yes, you read that right. A lot of students tend to behave like experts once they have read a few journals. But, you must remember that seeking expert advice is of utmost importance to select a good topic for your PhD.
Well, that is all I have to share with you. Hope this post helps you to understand how to choose a thesis topic for PhD.
Good luck! Adios.